How To Train Your Cats
Training your cat is one of the most exciting and enjoyable moments cat owners can experience. Aside from preventing various behavioral problems, training your feline comrades creates a good relationship between you and your pet. Since cats are known to be smart creatures, they can be trained how to properly behave and can be taught to perform numerous tricks.
Cat Litter Box Training:
One thing you can do with your cats is to train them to use a litter box. It can be a little hard to implement this with your felines because they usually do not like the litter box. However, if much attention is given to it, it can be easily handled.
Cats are good groomers. They are essentially considered as clean and private creatures when it comes to their bodily waste. That is why it would be best to provide them with a clean and discreet litter box where they can bury their waste. By doing this you can help them understand that they must use the litter box instead of burying their waste elsewhere.
Tips in teaching your cats to use the litter box:
- See to it that nothing unpleasant occurs near the litter tray. For instance, giving them medicines or loud noises. This is to help them perceive the cat litter box as a safe place.
- Make sure that the litter box is clean and free from unwanted bad odors. Cats prefer to utilize clean spaces for their waste disposal.
- Be sure to use the same clean litter box if possible. Cats are habitual and don’t like change.
- Place the box in an area where it can be easily noticed and encourage them to come and explore.
- Praise your cat whenever they go into the litter box and give them a treat if they do perform. By doing this they will think that when they use the box they can get rewards.
- Much easier if you do litter box training while they are still kittens.
Cat Clicker Training
Cats are very responsive to sounds especially to sounds that are somewhat high in pitch. Clicker training utilizes this sensitivity to maintain your cat’s attention over a training session. Clicker training’s primary goal is to teach your cat to associate the behavioral means you are teaching with the sound of the clicker. If this is effectively performed, it can be utilized in training your cats various tricks and reinforce good behavior.
There are some simple steps that you can follow on how to properly clicker train your cat. These include:
- Purchase a clicker training device before anything else.
- Try to observe, learn, and understand your cat’s behaviors.
- Secure a quiet room in your house for your training session.
- Start reinforcing the action or behavior which you want your feline friend to associate with both the clicker sound and a treat reward. For instance, if you want to teach your cat to sit, observe their actions and as soon as they sit down, command him “Sit!” and then follow it by a click. Repeat this as many times as possible.
Walk on Leash Cat training
How to train your cat to walk on a leash?
Cats are interested in going outside but it’s not always safe to let your feline comrade wander outside alone. However, if you are willing to spend a little time outside with your pet, you may have an option. It would be best if you train your cat to walk on a leash to ensure their safety. Here are some tips to train cats to walk on a leash:
- Prepare some cat training tools and aids similar to a cat walking jacket, a soft cat collar or harness and a lightweight 6 foot leash.
- Choose a small, quiet room and offer your cat a treat. This will help them relax once they start to panic while putting the harness on for the first time.
- Start the training before a meal so that your cat isn’t full.
- Don’t ever leave your cats alone on their leash even if they are just wandering around your house because the leash can get stuck on something.
- Don’t ever tie the leash on a post and leave your cats unsupervised.
- Don’t pull the leash as you may hurt the cat. Let the cat walk on his own terms and let him explore his environment instead.
Training a Cat to Use the Toilet
Cats can be taught to use the toilet instead of using the litter box. It would be a bit hassle on the start but it can be successfully done.
Tips on toilet training a cat:
- Make sure that the toilet is accessible at all times. You have to keep the bathroom door open at all times in order for your cat to easily get into the bathroom.
- Be patient in toilet training your cat. Bear in mind that one day or even a week is not enough.
- Start putting the litter box on the floor next to the toilet and let your cat get used to walking past the toilet for him to go to the bathroom.
- After your cat is used to going in the bathroom to use the litter tray, slowly start raising the box up off of the floor. Do this gradually until the height of the litter tray is even with the height of the toilet.
- After your cat is used to this procedure, directly move the litter box on top of the toilet.
Cat Training Tricks
Cats can be easily trained to do tricks. All you have to do is be wise and creative in teaching them. Here are some tips on how to train a cat to do tricks:
- Be consistent; cats have good memory and don’t usually like changes.
- Always prepare a treat while training so that your cat will be excited about the reward.
- Call his name first after giving a command and praise him with a soothing voice.
- Don’t make the learning session long.
- Be calm and don’t ever yell or shout. This will only frighten your cat.
- Don’t do too much repetition with the commands. This will not help your cat associate good behavior.
- Cats are moody and choosy. Don’t force them to perform tricks especially in front of visitors.
Training your cat is not an easy task to do. Even though cats are highly intellectual, you still have to invest much effort and great patience in training. As pet lovers, you must not look at training with a negative point of view because some day you will be the one reaping the rewards.